Vegan pulled jackfruit burger with mango salsa
- For the burger
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 2tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube, made up to 400ml
- 400g tin Summer Pride Jackfruit in Water, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado, stoned and peeled
- Juice and zest ½ lime
- 4 vegan burger buns, halved
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, thinly sliced
- Cajun sweet potato wedges, to serve
- For the mango salsa
- 1 ripe mango, flesh finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2tbsp pomegranate seeds
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- Zest and juice ½ lime
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium setting. Fry the onion and garlic for 8-10 mins until soft. Add the Cajun seasoning to the pan and fry for a further 2 mins. Add the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and stock; simmer uncovered for 20 mins.
To make the mango salsa, put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir together. Chill for 20 mins.
Add the jackfruit to the pan and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins, until thick and glossy. Season with black pepper then use 2 forks to 'pull' the jackfruit into shreds.
Mash the avocado with the lime zest and juice until smooth and creamy.
Spread the avocado onto the burger bun bases and top with the jackfruit, salsa and lettuce. Add the bun tops and serve with the Cajun sweet potato wedges, if using.