Vegan spiced parsnip bisque with baked beetroot crisps
Price: 67p per serving
- 500g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1tsp garam masala
- 400ml tin reduced-fat coconut milk
- 800ml hot vegetable stock
- 2tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 beetroot, peeled and very finely sliced using a sharp knife or mandolin
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Arrange the parsnips and onion on a baking tray and drizzle with 1tbsp of the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 30 mins until golden and tender.
Meanwhile, place the beetroot slices in a single layer on a baking tray. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, then bake for 15-18 mins until crisp. Set aside to crisp up further as they cool.
Take the roasted parsnips and onion from the oven and spoon into a jug blender (or a large pan if you’re using a hand blender). Add in the garam masala, then pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Blitz until completely smooth and silky. Season to taste with black pepper.
Ladle into warmed bowls, then top with the pumpkin seeds, parsley and baked beetroot crisps. Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, if using.