Vegetable and lentil soup
- 15g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 150g carrots (trimmed weight), diced
- 200g potatoes (peeled weight), diced
- 150g dry split red lentils, rinsed
- 400g can Asda Chopped Tomatoes with Chilli and Peppers
- 800ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
Melt the butter in a large pan with the olive oil. Add the onion, celery, carrot and potato, and stir so that all the vegetables are well coated. Cover the pan and cook over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the split red lentils, tomatoes, vegetable stock and thyme, and heat until boiling. Boil gently, half covered, for 10 minutes. Season.
Reduce the heat, cover the pan completely and simmer gently for another 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked (you may need to add a little extra water at this stage if the soup looks too thick).
If you prefer a smooth finish, remove half the soup and liquidise in a blender, then return to the pan and stir in. Reheat gently, then serve.