Vegetarian Scotch broth
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small leek, cleaned and sliced
- 150g carrots, cut into small cubes
- 125g swede, thickly peeled and cut into small cubes
- 100g Great Scot pearl barley, rinsed
- 100g Great Scot Dried Green Lentils, rinsed
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock (made with 2 low-salt stock cubes)
- 200g bag Asda Sliced Curly Kale
- Crusty bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and leek over a medium heat for about 5 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently.
Add the carrots and swede and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the barley, lentils, thyme and stock and bring to a fast boil for 5 minutes. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 35 minutes. Add the kale and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until the barley and kale are tender. Serve with crusty bread.