If you've used fake tan before, it's likely you've had at least once case of streaky hands or patchy elbows but don't be put off achieving a subtle summer glow! You can cheat your way to caramel-coloured skin without frying yourself on a two-week holiday abroad. We've broken down our fake tan guide into ten simple steps that are easy to follow. Stick to them religiously and you'll soon become a fake tan pro with a sought-after hint of colour.
So whether you're a self tan novice or just need some great suggestions for beauty buys to help you fake it, our tan commandments mean you can dare to bare with confidence - all summer long!
Pre-tanning, thou shalt shower, shave and buff away dead skin cells with Dove Gentle Exfoliating Body Wash. Don’t moisturise immediately before applying fake tan as it can stop the colour ingredients working. Instead, smooth Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe Soothe Lotion, over your elbows, wrists, knees, ankles and toes (the dry areas that ‘grab’ tan, creating that orange, wrinkly effect).
1. Prep school
2. Gloves on!
The tango should be limited to dance programmes and soft drinks – not the colour of your hands. That’s why we love the St. Moriz Self Tan Applicator Mitt, for applying your fake tan.
3. Soft touch
Add St. Moriz Self Tanning Mousse Medium, to your mitt, scrunch it up to spread the tan, then work onto the skin in sweeping motions. Do legs first, then tummy, arms, neck, back, feet and hands. The colour you apply shows where you’ve put product. This will wash off eight hours later to reveal a natural-looking, just-stepped-off-the-plane glow. Don’t overload the mitt – less is always more when it comes to achieving a healthy colour.
4. Don’t leave tell-tale signs
Use Simple Kind To Skin Cleansing Facial Wipes, to clean your palms and easily wipe away any staining between your fingers and on your nails. Finally, massage moisturiser onto the backs of your hands and buff in, paying special attention to your wrists to blend in the edges.
5. Style it outEven the best tan aficionados make mistakes. If you’re looking a tad streaky, don’t panic. Mix the juice of a lemon with a little Clean & Clear Exfoliating Daily Facial Wash, and scrub gently over to fade the problem area. Nobody will ever know…
6. Wing itLast-minute girls’ night out? You can bare your legs and achieve instant colour by mixing a little Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs Leg Makeup, with E45 Moisturising Body Lotion. Swipe on with a mitt, leave for five minutes and you're good to go.
7. Ace the baseWhile some people fake-tan their faces, a fail-safe way to look more natural is to up your foundation a shade or two. Max Factor Face Finity All Day Flawless 3 in 1 Foundation, is ideal for this. Mix with an illuminator like Collection Speedy Highlighter 01 Pearl Sheen, to reflect light for a sun-kissed look.
8. Gently does itWorried about faking it? The easiest way to get some colour is a moisturiser with a built-in tanning boost. Garnier Apricot Summer Body Moisturising Lotion, works a treat and smells lush, too. Just make sure you wash or cleanse your hands afterwards.
9. Tan-touringTraditionally, this is done with fake tan that develops, but it’s hard to master so is probably best left to the expert spray tanners. Cheat your way to tan-style contouring by working Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, into the hollows of your cheeks with the QVS Foundation Brush, before buffing away the edges with the Real Techniques Finish Sculpting Brush.
10. Last but not least
The finishing touch? Collection Bronze Glow Matt Powder. Swirl your make up brush over the palette, tap off the excess, then gently dust the bronzer across your nose, the tops of your cheeks and temples. This is where you would naturally catch the sun.