1. Have you worn it in the last year? If the answer’s no, chuck it. If it was expensive then use eBay to sell it, otherwise donate it to a charity shop or give it to a friend who you know will appreciate the gesture.
If there’s a hint of pilling, hanging hems, stains, missing buttons or rips, then ask yourself how likely you are to spend the money getting it repaired.
2. Make sure you give each piece a close inspection. If there’s a hint of pilling, hanging hems, stains, missing buttons or rips, then ask yourself how likely you are to spend the money getting it repaired.
3. Try things on and determine the type of cuts that flatter your body shape. Got a variety of different dress sizes in your wardrobe? Be ruthless and only keep the clothes that currently fit. This way, you’re making space but also committing to staying the size you are.
4. Don’t hold on to trend-led pieces that have gone out of fashion! Yes, the trend could come back around but it never returns in exactly the same style so you’re just hanging on to dead wood.
5. Are you hoarding garments you’ve never even worn? If the price tag is still attached then the item will instantly hold a higher value on eBay, so stop pretending you might still wear it and ditch, ditch, ditch! Make sure your eBay title and description is as detailed as possible (include the size in the title) and use enticing photos to boost your chances of a good sale.
6. Keep this motto at the forefront of your mind: ‘A streamlined wardrobe will save me time in the morning’. Why? You’ll know exactly where everything is and stop wasting time deciding what to wear!
7. Does it have the feel-good factor? If there are items in your wardrobe that never give you a spring in your step, then get rid of them. Adopt the mantra that clothes should only ever make you feel happy.
8. Start to reorganise your wardrobe by colour and item – it’ll soon flush out the duds. If you have six pairs of black trousers, ask yourself if you need every single pair.
Looking for new season updates now your wardrobe is clutter-free? Shop the latest collection from George Fashion here